Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Homage to Julia Child




“Never Apologize” is a phrase that has frequently been running through my head these days. Meryl Streep muttered that very line while playing Julia Child in the film Julie and Julia; her booming voice resonates through my thoughts every so often when I feel my mind being consumed with that very thing—my thoughts. I’ve become aware that sometimes (okay, often) I apologize too much. Maybe it’s a hangover from spending a bit too much time around my Italian side of the family, the side of the family whose guilt is ingrained into everyday life.  Although, I must say, if that time was not spent with my Italian family, I would have missed out on a lot of love (and some amazing recipes). I do love them; I just would prefer less of the guilt that comes hand in hand with a visit.

 I’ve come to find the mind is a very powerful object, able to manifest one’s entire destiny with a single thought. One’s very thoughts dictate moods and, as a result, outcomes of the day. Day to day you build your future, so whether you like it or not, you are creating your own destiny, at every moment.  I feel that apologizing for situations beyond your control, in the midst of creating your reality, should not be a part of it.

I then began thinking about the role a mind can play within one’s relationship with food. While building a healthy relationship with food your mind is your most valuable instrument. I find that when your mind is in a place of happiness, acknowledging food as nourishment and energy— you flourish. On the contrary, if your mind is conveying food as instant gratification or a grand indulgence, initiating thoughts of “guilt” may be building a negative relationship with food, creating internal discord. Our society has been inundated with trend diets over the past few years, leading us into ideas of what is to be considered “healthy” and “unhealthy”. Some diets have even managed to exclude entire food groups from what is to be considered the ideal vision of “health”. I would like to take the guilt out of eating. When we stop thinking of food (which is our very source of energy), as the enemy, we can build and nourish a positive relationship with food. By using ingredients that your body will benefit and thrive from, such as fiber rich foods, antioxidant filled fruits and veggies, and whole lean protein, you may just find yourself with a bit more energy to support that wholesome mind. I find that substitutions can be made in recipes where the ingredients are lacking nutritious benefits for your body.

Meryl Streeps’s portrayal of Julia Child in Julie and Julia led my mind to thinking about the influence that Julia Child has provided in the kitchen for decades. She completely revolutionized the home chef in the 60’s by taking the fear out of cooking. Her confidence helped convey the inspiration women and men needed to reach outside of their comfort zone in the kitchen. They began trying new dishes and techniques previously only seen in restaurants and used in “professional” kitchens. Throughout her journey, she stayed true to herself and kept doing what she loved her own way. Most importantly, she never apologized in the midst of creation. Guilt was not something to be found within the kitchen of Julia Child.

(Photo Courtesy of LA Times)

After muddling through all of these thoughts, I have made a conscious decision to become more aware of my apologizing. I’ve also made a decision to keep my kitchen a guilt-free area while consuming, as well as creating. When I was growing up, my mom used to say, “ You can begin the day again at any time”. Keeping such a simple phrase in my mind proved to be reassuring, meaning that regardless of what was to occur, I could begin again because I was in control. I think that while creating in life, whether it is in the kitchen, or not, it is encouraging to know that if something does not go to plan, the world will not end.

No comments:

Post a Comment